What is LASIK?
LASIK is a type of refractive surgery that reshapes the cornea of the eye in order to produce clearer vision. LASIK is short for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis and it is used to correct myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. It is an outpatient procedure and is performed by an ophthalmologist.
LASIK is performed by cutting a flap on the outer portion of eye and exposing the underlying cornea to a laser. The cornea is then reshaped and the flap is replaced. The procedure generally takes less than fifteen minutes to perform.
As with any surgery, there are risks when undergoing LASIK. There is a possibility that you could be under-treated or over-treated, requiring additional treatment or the need for glasses or contacts after surgery. In addition, there is a risk of developing dry eye, glare, or halos with night vision, and in rare cases, permanent vision loss.
How long do I have stay in Penang?
We reccomend your stay in Penang about 6 working days, so about 8 days in total.
Am I a LASIK Candidate?
Any of our prospective customers will have to go to a professional Lasik center to have an eye examination to assure that a procedure can be successfully performed here in Penang.As this examination and the outcome is pretty much standard worldwide you also qualify for it in Penang.It you need the address of a center in your vicinity please send us a mail.
Please ensure you ask for the detailed report that states that you qualify and bring it with you to Penang.
However, there are a few general requirements:
LASIK: Risks and Benefits
- Candidates should be at least 18 years old - this ensures that the eye has matured and developed properly.
- Your vision must be stable for at least one year prior to surgery.
- You must have gone one year without an eye infection or injury.
- You must not suffer from an autoimmune disorder, such as Lupus or Sjogren's syndrome.
- You must have no history of herpes infection in the eye - LASIK may induce a recurrence.
- There must be no scarring on the cornea.
- You must understand the risks involved with LASIK surgery and have realistic expectations regarding the outcome.
- Candidates should not be pregnant or nursing at the time of surgery - hormones cause tissue fluctuations within the eye, changing the refractive error.
- People who suffer from dry eye are not good candidates for LASIK.
- If your pupil dilates to more than 7 millimeters in the dark you are not a good candidate - this is an indication that you would suffer from halos or glare at nighttime.
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with LASIK. Approximately 5% of patients will experience some kind of complication. The following is a list of possible risks:
It is important to remember that patients in their 40s or older suffer from presbyopia and will still need reading glasses.
- Light sensitivity
- Halos, glare, and starbursts - this occurs if light enters the eye around the edge of the treatment area and can usually be corrected with touch-up treatment.
- Under-correction or over-correction.
- Irregular astigmatism - this occurs if the cornea heals in a wavy configuration
- Contrast Sensitivity - Find out how your refractive surgeon can determine whether you may have problems with night vision. Laser eye surgery causes a patient's contrast sensitivity (the ability to see well in low contrast situations, e.g. driving at night) to fall below normal levels, in turn reducing the ability to see clearly. After several weeks, or months, contrast sensitivity usually returns to normal and vision becomes clearer in low contrast situations. However, in some cases contrast sensitivity will not return to normal.
In spite of the risks associated with LASIK, there are several advantages to having the procedure done:
- Glasses or contact lenses will be unnecessary
- Any discomfort with contact lenses will be eliminated
- Quality of vision is usually better than that achieved with glasses or contact lenses
- As most patients achieve 20/40 vision or better, you will be able to pass a driver's test without wearing glasses or contact lenses.
Prices for Lasik at Beautiful Holidays start at Euro 590 / GBP 500 / AU$ 990 / US$ 860 PER EYE.
For all enquires regarding Lasik you may email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org .